From my focus fabric - Merkitties - two 12 1/2" squares, four 6 1/2" squares, one 2 1/2" strip.
From my wave fabric (I believe the author of the book calls this one your companion fabric) - I only had 1/2 yard piece of the merkitties and so I am using the wave fabric to substitute for merkitties. I should have had one yard of merkitties if I was going to follow the pattern exactly - cut one horizontal rectangle 6 1/2" x 12 1/2" and two 2 1/2" strips
From the yellow challenge fabric - I cut three 2 1/2" strips, one vertical rectangle 12 1/2" x 6 1/2", four 6 1/2" squares
From the green and pink fabrics - I cut three 2 1/2" strips of each colour
I managed to finish putting together the top (less the borders) by 1:00 pm (that's starting at 8:00 am). I only managed to make one mistake -- I reversed two of the nine patch blocks. I am not going to change it--as Pam says, IIWII (it is what it is). I made another quick switch and unless you really knew what this pattern layout was supposed to look like, you would never notice my mistake. It is now part of the charm of this quilt.
I am not sure whether I am going to go with the border treatment in the book or if I am going to make up my own border design. sometimes these things have to age a bit and you have to consider options before making a decision.
This was a great way to spend the morning--quilting with Internet friends!