This weekend was not very productive quilt-wise.
Sometimes I get stuck in an inspirationless void. That is where I was this weekend. On Saturday morning, I spent some time surfing the Internet looking for that spark that would get me motivated. I did find some ideas for using up some of my scraps but grocery shopping and errands found their way ahead of quilting that day.
Saturday night I sat down in the studio in front of my sewing machine and pieced strings onto foundations. This is quite mindless sewing and something I rely on it when I am not sure what else to work on. At lease if I am working on using the bits in the string bin, I feel productive because i am using up bits of fabric that I have been saving for a while.
I spent some time this morning trying to figure out how a particular scrap quilt was constructed. I had printed a picture off of the Internet at one time and it was pasted into my inspiration book. It was made from squares and rectangles. I finally sketched it out onto paper and made note of the construction steps.
Later on I was chatting with LindaJ on line and I showed her a scan of the quilt that had piqued my interest. LindaJ recognized the quilt block and said it was called Flying Squares. LindaJ said that this is a very old pattern printed in about 1895. This is a link the Quilter's Cache site if you are interested in making this block.
The picture t the top of this post is of the first four blocks that I made today. My blocks are sashed on the left and bottom sides with 2 1/2" squares. I am adding the sashing as I piece the blocks.
I am using 2 1/2" squares from one of my pre-cut squares bins. I have not found it particularly useful to have a stash of pre-cut 2 1/2" squares on hand so I don't cut them anymore. I would really like to use up the bin of squares already cut so making this quilt will help.