Sunday, May 24, 2009

Fraser Valley Quilters' Guild - Quiltafair

Since my sewing machine is still in the shop, I was free to attend the Fraser Valley Quilters' Guild biennial quilt show, called Quiltafair, last Friday.

This was a cute flower arrangement on the registration desk. See the cute "button" flowers.


The guild had sponsored the traditional quilt challenge and an additional challenge that you don't see at every show--a pin cushion challenge. I had a hard time voting for my favorite pin cushion.

I have seen this quilt pattern several times before. However, this is the first time I have seen it made up as an "I Spy". What a great idea.

One of the features of this show was the Hungarian Canadian quilt display. "In 2006, Iren Szabo and Sue Dobray initiated a Hungarian/Canadian quilt exchange. All participants created a twelve inch quilt block - the Hungarian blocks were sent to Canada to be matched up with a Canadian participant who in turn sent their blocks to Hungary. All participants added 4 1/2" around their exchange block or brought the size up to 21" and that piece was returned to the original block creator to increase the size to an approximately 45" quilt top. All quilts (21 Hungarian and 21 Canadian) were finished by the original block creator and the completed Canadian quilts were sent back to Hungary to join the Hungarian quilts...this collection of 42 quilts was displayed in the capital city of Budapest in November 2006. This is the first time they have been hung as a group show in Canada" (taken from the FVQG's show brochure) The next 5 pictures are some of those fabulous quilts.





This next quilt featured incredibly small squares in the 25 patch blocks.

Because it is hard to imagine just how small those squares were, I took a picture of one of the blocks next to my hand so you can see the perspective.
This next hexagon quilt belongs to Val Smith. I met up with two other quilters from Agassiz at the show and I was introduced to Val. The four of us enjoyed a wonderful boxed lunch outside in the sun at lunchtime. Be sure to visit Val's web page to see some of her other fabulous work. http://web.me.com/myraottewell/Vals_Quilts/Welcome.html

Val used 5 different sizes of hexagons in this quilt.

The next two shots feature some great cat quilts.


This next quilt really interested me. All it said on the note that was hanging next to the quilt was, "I made this quilt from a napkin".

This next Canadiana quilt was for sale for $800. It features some fabulous cross stitch pieces and the most interesting maple leaf block in the center of the quilt.




This maple leaf block was a cross between a poppy and a maple leaf-very interesting.

This quilt featured a farm in Swift Current, Saskatchewan.


I have always admired this quilt pattern. I believe the pattern is called, "All Lit Up" and is intended as a Christmas quilt. This quilter said the trees reminded her of the forests around Harrison and so she hangs this quilt all year round in her house, not just at Christmas.

I have seen this quilt pattern before many times. I still love it! The expressions on the faces of these birds are priceless.
This was a cute quilt. The workmanship was perfect! Despite the use of triangles, this quilt hung perfectly flat--no friendly borders here!

These next two quilts featured a unique curved and dimensional half square triangle block.

Sometimes a quilt just makes you smile, this was one of those.



This is a two colour BQ.
This quilt was cute.
The quilting design featured chocolates and really made the quilt.

This was a great show.

10 comments:

  1. looks like a fabulous show; i'm sorry i missed it. thanx for sharing the pictures Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wonderful photos - what a great quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen such beautiful pieces. We have many quilt shows in Kentucky, but I have never been interested. I am going to do a paint on fabric one. Thanks for this show.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there on Friday as well!! Great pictures Norma - I forgot my camera -LOL. One of our group did bring her camera so we did get some pictures. It was a very good show. I really enjoyed the Hungarian exchange quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS FOR SHARING. I TOO ENJOYED THIS SHOW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fabulous quilt show- and all the photos you shared were wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the quilt show. I love that I Spy and the Chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so funny, I've been playing with I Spy quilts in EQ using bricks and strips and one of the version I worked up uses the black framing strips...others use brights, and a two tone red version that has a woven effect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It certainly seems like a great show! Thanks for taking us with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the quilt show! Send me chocolate...now! Hee!

    ReplyDelete