Sunday, May 10, 2009

Moving Projects Forward

I have had a couple of fabrics lately that have decided that they do not want to keep all their dye. One of the fabrics was a deep blue batik and the second was a red cotton. Both fabrics can be bad for bleeding, but really, after 6 washes? I tried vinegar and salt and had to luck. Finally, I found a source for Retayne locally. After one wash with Retayne, the fabrics stopped bleeding. I could not believe it. I did a test wash with Color Catchers after the Retayne treatment and the Color Catchers came out of the wash as white as they went it. I will be using this product a lot more often now that I know how well it works! Friday, I spent my time making a Mother's Day present for my Mom. This is the table runner that I made for her.
Today, we started the day with breakfast out at a local restaurant--my DH, DS, Mom, Dad, and myself. After presenting my Mom with her table runner, she took it home and put it on her coffee table and took this picture for me. I was worried that I had not made it long enough, but it looks like it works on her coffee table.

Saturday, I finished putting the last of the sashing bits on this quilt top and then added the inner and outer borders. The outer border fabric is suns on a black background. I loved this fabric. I had enough backing fabric and batting in my stash so by the end of the evening Saturday, I had this quilt loaded on the long arm and had started the quilting.

This afternoon, I was able to finish the quilting on this one.

I used a new to me batting on this one -- Soft and Bright by the Warm Company. This batting is 100% polyester. It is needled to hold the batting together without glue, resin, or hard coatings. This batting has a bit of loft to it which shows off the quilting perfectly. Because the fibers are needled, they stay in place and the batting doesn't shift or go thin in some places like other polyester battings do. My long arm did not object to this batting at all and unlike other polyester battings, this one did not slip or shift. Because this quilt top was heavy from the weight of all the seams in the string blocks, I really did not want to add more weight to the top by using a cotton batting. I also have intended this to be a utility quilt so I expect it to be used and washed frequently. I am hoping the polyester holds up to the frequent use I expect the quilt to receive.
This last picture shows the gold thread i used to highlight the Wave quilting design.

My plans are to bind this one in black. The binding will have to wait for another day though as I am short of black fabric in my stash. Running out of stash fabric is a good thing though--it means that I am using up what I have on hand!

7 comments:

  1. That quilt is gorgeous, and so is the table runner - what a nice Mum's Day gift!
    I'll keep the Retayne in mind - I used to use it for fabric painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gift for your Mom looks great and the color catcher string quilts always look so cheerful and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the table runner; very pretty. and your string quilt is so bright and vibrant. great job!

    happy mother's day

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so in awe of your talent. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank heavens that fabric stopped bleeding---you can use it now and not have to toss it.

    Happy Mother's Day to you and your Mom. I bet she was thrilled with the runner. It looks so pretty with her floral arrangement and sofa colors.

    I didn't get a whole lot done this "move it forward weekend" but I do better when you are around to cheer me on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meant to tell you too, how well the quilt turned out--the wave looks perfect with all the lines of the strings. Hurray for an all but the binding finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is gorgeous! I love that idea for strings.

    ReplyDelete