Monday, March 6, 2006

First Quilt

I see a lot of quilters on-line talking about their first quilt. That made me go back and see if I could find a picture of my first quilt. Here it is.....................Crazy About Chickens.

I put the last stitches in this quilt on September 17, 1999, the day before the deadline for entries to our local Fall Fair that year. I won first place in the "Beginner's First Major Quilt" category. The top was crazy pieced on a muslin foundation. I tied the blocks and machine quilted the border.

I used my Grandmother's Singer treadle sewing machine to piece the blocks for this quilt. I have many fond memories of my Grandmother sewing on this machine. As a child I was allowed to play with all the fabric scraps left from the many clothing projects she made. The only fabrics in her stash that were off limit were the large "whole" pieces that hadn't been cut into yet.

We still use this quilt on our bed. It is one of the quilts that keeps us warm in the winter. It is no longer visible as a much prettier quilt now lives on top of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment